Hotel Trieste, Restaurants Trieste, Bed and breakfast Trieste, Holiday Farms Trieste
- 84,46 sq. km
- 2 m a.s.l.
- Piazza dell Unita d Italia, 4
- 34100 - Trieste (TS)
- Basovizza, Domio, Gropada, Opicina, Padriciano, Prosecco, Servola, Trebiciano, Zaule
For those arriving by car or train, the tour of the city begins from Piazza della Libertà and the garden in which the monument to Empress Sissi, Empress of Austria and wife of Franz Joseph was erected in 1912, being replaced there in 1997. The square is surrounded by the Railway Station in neo- Renaissance style and Palazzo Economo, in neo-Greek style, today the seat of Superintendence and Gallery of Ancient Art. A multi-storey car park has been created inside the old silo, while the simple architecture of the former bus station hosts the Tripcovich Hall, used today for theatre performances and concerts. On the embankment, the complex of Porto Vecchio is to be found, with an overall extension of 600,000 sq. m of buildings, docks and wharfs: industrial archaeology today, but for a century it was a self-sufficient entity powered by its own hydrodynamic plant operating more than 100 cranes and 50 hoists, complete with 38 warehouses along 3 km of coast. An important reconversion plan to enlarge harbour facilities is being carried out. Going down Via Ghega the wide straight Via Carducci is reached, which fills in the Torrente Maggiore and is lined with imposing 19th- and 20th-century buildings. This street departs from the spectacular Piazza G. Oberdan: located on the former site of the Theresian hospital and Austrian barracks and its buildings erected between 1929 and 1939, the square is shaped as an exedra at the centre of which stands the bronze sculpture “The Canticle of Canticles” by M. Mascherini (1962), from which the view of the Law Courts is enjoyed. On the opposite side of the square there is the small rail and tram station of the picturesque Trieste-Opicina cog railway opened in 1902 About halfway down Via Carducci, level with the palace of Portici di Chiozza two streets branch off: one is Via Cesare Battisti, leading to the Public Garden with the monument to Domenico Rossetti (1900). Along this street, the historical Caffè San Marco, where intellectuals used to meet, is to be found, with its unchanged atmosphere and frescoes by P. Marussig. The other street is Viale XX Settembre (also known as Viale dell’Acquedotto), the tree-lined pedestrian avenue at the end of which is the Politeama Rossetti, the Teatro Stabile of Friuli -Venezia Giulia dedicated to prose, that hosts performances from classical and 20th-century repertoires, as well as musicals and experimental plays. Via S. Francesco is dominated by the New Synagogue (R. and A. Berlam); one of the largest in Europe, it replaced in 1912 the 18th-century Major Temple of the Jewish community which had been granted permission to open temples in Trieste in 1696. Largo Panfili is instead characterized by the daring soaring lines of the neo-Gothic Augustan Evangelical Church, with its neoclassical monuments. Piazza Vittorio Veneto, with the central Fountain of the Tritons (F. Schrantz, 1898), is surrounded by monumental palaces, among which the Post Office , opposite which is the building hosting the Italian Railways Offices, and Palazzo Galatti, the seat of the Provincial Board of Trieste. Going along Via Galatti towards the sea, on the corner with Via Cavour is the building that housed the Austro-Hungarian Bank (1906) and was then restructured by architect A. Berlam to host the Bank of Italy. The Jolly Hotel (1951) is located in Via C. Cavour, as well as the former headquarters of the Cantieri Riuniti dell’Adriatico, all faced with green marble and, on the corner with Piazza Duca degli Abruzzi, the building of Assicurazioni Generali (1886). Opposite, the Casa del Lavoratore Portuale (1939) which hosts the Teatro Miela (a special container for the ‘other’ kinds of music) and on the sea the former Idroscalo (seaplane base), built on engineer C. Pollack’s project in 1931, and now the seat of the Capitaneria di Porto (Harbour Office).