s Home » Guide » Tarvisio

Hotel Tarvisio, Restaurants Tarvisio, Bed and breakfast Tarvisio, Holiday Farms Tarvisio

Book Tarvisio



Adults
Childrens
Area:
  • 205,52 sq. km
Altitude:
  • 732 m a.s.l.
Population:
  • 5,074
Town Hall:
  • Via Roma, 3
  • 33018 - Tarvisio (UD)
Neighbourhoods:
  • Camporosso, Cave del Predil, Coccau, Colazzo, Fusine in val Romana, Fusine Laghi, Monte Lussari, Rutte Grande, Rutte Piccolo, Sant'Antonio
Website
Map:

Located where the borders of Italy, Austria and Slovenia meet, a unique place in Europe where four different languages are normally spoken (Italian, German, Slovenian and Friulian), just beyond Sella di Camporosso, and therefore geographically in Austria, Tarvisio became Italian only after the First World War, though its Roman origins are witnessed by some inscriptions dating from the 2nd century AD on the parish church boundary wall. More important yet is the stone slab in the main street of Camporosso, analysed also by Mommsen, with bas-reliefs of a pedagogue and a teacher carrying the following inscription: “Sacred to the Manes – in memory of Avilia Leda, dead at 35 years of age – Mutilio Fortunato and Avilio Grato – pupils placed [this slab]“. For centuries the Tarvisio area was inhabited by Slav and German populations whose cultures are shown in works of art as well. The parish church of SS. Pietro and Paolo dates from the 15th century and 16th-century frescoes are found in the presbytery and on the walls (some of them referable to Tommaso from Villach’s school), among which is the portrait of Charles V on horseback (celebrating his intervention when the Turks arrived in Tarvisio). In the church of B. V. di Loreto are lovely paintings on wood by a Carinthian painter dated around 1520, and in the small cupola are 18th-century stuccoes and frescoes by an Austrian master. Older than this is the cycle of frescoes in the church of S. Nicolò at Coccau, with scenes from Christ’s Passion attributed to an early 1400s local painter revising Giottesque inventions and rhythms in a popular key. In Camporosso (place name seemingly deriving from the corrupt Italian translation of a Slav place name meaning “toad field”), in the Pieve of S. Egidio, the 1704 high altar in polychrome marble and frescoes (Flagellation and Crucifixion) by Tommaso from Villach (end of 15th cent.) are worth seeing, the latter commendable for the correct layout, vivid colours, elaborate draperies and steady trait. From Camporosso it is possible to reach the Sanctuary of Monte Lussari by cableway: a much worshipped place by Carinthian, Slovene and Friulian populations, according to a legend the Sanctuary was built in 1360 when the Aquileia Patriarch of the time ordered a chapel with altar to be built on the site where a small statue of Virgin with Child had been found. Today’s building dates to 1924 (after the previous ones had collapsed). The miracle statue is a work of the Gothic Austrian school, while the frescoes on the triumphal arch are by Slovenian painter Toni Kralj (1930). The rural villages of Camporosso and Coccau are remarkable in the municipality territory, boasting outstanding examples of spontaneous Carinthian architecture; the mining village of Cave del Predil is interesting instead for the tall houses built for the miners’ families. However, prestigious residences datable between the 16th and 19th centuries, most of them remodelled, may be found almost everywhere: in Tarvisio Alta the Palazzo Municipale (Town Hall), then Casa Candoni Brettner, the Palazzo della Forestale, Casa Haberl, and Palazzetto Spaliviero; in Tarvisio Bassa, Casa Haring, Palazzo Schnablegger, Casa Lindaver Scheiderberger, the Burgerspital, the Schnablegger Hotel (now the Vidussi shop). Tarvisio is the starting place for picturesque walks and excursions to the Forest of Tarvisio, the natural environment of deer, bears and eagles, for the two Lakes of Fusine, with their incredibly blue waters, for the Lake of Predil (also called of Raibl), darker and wilder, and for the rugged mountains surrounding the town which have in Mount Mangart their highest top.

WE ARE SOCIAL!!

BUSINESS PARTNERS

Images from Friuli Venezia Giulia