Hotel Cordenons, Restaurants Cordenons, Bed and breakfast Cordenons, Holiday Farms Cordenons
- 56,78 sq. km
- 44 m a.s.l.
- Piazza della Vittoria, 1
- 33084 - Cordenons (PN)
- Nogaredo, Romans, Sclavons, Villa d'Arco
One of the most fascinating things about Cordenons is that, while westwards the municipality territory is increasingly becoming part of Pordenone’s urban sprawl, in the other directions a few minutes of cycling are enough to afford the enjoyment of highly interesting naturalistic areas: from the stony -magredo- (permeable alluvial soil with little vegetation typical of Friuli) in the north to the verdant resurgence areas in the south. It is close to the latter that the most interesting, both historically and artistically, building in the area is located, the church of S. Pietro at Sclavons, erected in the 15th century on a site whose most ancient vicissitudes have been explored by archaeologists. Among the mural painting decorating the church interior is a fresco of San Floriano (first decade of the 16th cent.) by Gianfrancesco da Tolmezzo, set left of the -arcone-, and the dynamic Stories of St. Peter in the choir, as well as Scenes from Genesis, right in the nave, attributed to G. Del Zocco’s hand (1551 ca.). The latter has also produced the triptych of Virgin with Child and SS. Caterina and Lucia in the new parish church, not far from here. The wide main square of Cordenons, that has been recently remodelled, is visually centred around the 18th-century church of Santa Maria Maggiore, in whose interior an altarpiece by G. Narvesa (Trinity, St. Valentine, San Floriano, Bishop Saint and worshippers, 1595-1598), the altar of the Rosary with sculptures by G. Torretti (early 18th century), and a Passage of St. Joseph (1868) by M. Grigoletti are preserved. The church of San Giacomo once again witnesses the presence of G. Del Zocco with the choir frescoes, while the church of San Giovanni Battista -on the road leading to San Quirino- has a stone statue of the Saint by G.A. Pilacorte (1515).